Saturday, November 27, 2010

My longest illness

I'm (hopefully) at the end of the longest illness that I'll ever have (knock on wood). I started with a cold the 1st of October and by Thanksgiving (October 9) I had a 2-day stomach virus - which was quite unpleasant and resulted in NO turkey for anyone...boo hoo.

That settled down into a cough...which expanded to my sinuses. I hadn't slept a full night sleep in about a week because I couldn't breath and it made the cough worse. By Nov 7, it was unbearable. I coughed and it felt like my brain was going to splat into my skull and every step hurt...so I decided to go to a DR. I was so sure the DR would say...its a cold, go home, but he gave me a prescription for antibiotics for a sinus infection.

A 10 day termination notice for the infection was given. I had to take 2, 500 mg horse pills every day for 10 days and I took the 1st 2-pill dose that evening during supper. The next morning I could tell that some of the pressure in my head had lessened....phew. That night, it took the 2nd 2-pill dose. Then 2 hours later, I was sick to my stomach and lost my supper...boo. The next morning, more of the same...and it just wouldn't stop. I went to the pharmacist and she agreed that it was a very bad reaction to the medication, so had to contact the Dr to get a new prescription. I couldn't eat that entire day...and around 4pm, I finally was able to keep water down - good times.

I got the new medication that night, but waited until the next evening to start again. I wanted to be able to keep food down before I tried to take the medication. These pills were small and I only needed 1, 250 mg a day for 5 days...odd....and the medication continues to do its thing to the infection for the full 10 days.

The 10th day was yesterday night - I've been able to sleep through the night for the last week (phew) but I'm still pretty tired from all the weeks with poor sleep. I'm still coughing, but at least the pressure in my head is gone.

I hope this is the longest illness I have to deal with...and I'm still knocking on wood.

No comments:

Post a Comment