Most of my stash IS paper, so I've kind of dealt with some of this last year...now I need to actually KEEP new purchases to a minimum AND put new purchases in their place AND if there is NO place for more paper NO MORE PURCHASING PAPER (ha ha ha...like that's going to happen).
The original post about it is HERE
First choice is whether to go horizontal or vertical. I'd love to go horizontal...which is supposed to take up less room BUT I don't have room for new piece of furniture that would allow me to have it horizontal. I have some paper that way (like a stack of individual colors I use a lot, so bought a full pack of those colors). These aren't my favorite because they are piled one on top of each other...so, as you can imagine, I always want the color on the bottom...so to pull out a piece or two pulls out all the paper at the top too ... which totally drives me nut-so! IF I could have separations between each paper color and still have it horizontal...WOO HOO...sign me up...but I don't have the space.
To make it easier to get at the paper, vertical works better in my space. I purchased some cropper hopper vertical storage boxes. I had always had a problem with these in that it was hard to get the paper out...reaching and pulling out the container to pull out the paper just doesn't work because I can't reach over my table etal to do that. Last year when attempting this step, I found that if you turn the containers with the open end OUT, that I can more easily pull out the paper I need...and I often don't have to PULL out the entire container which encourages me to actually use the paper in there!
The original poster talks about sorting the actual paper by brand, color or theme...well...its color for me. I don't purchase by brand or theme...I purchase what I like and that's about it. I try to purchase matching card stock at the same time I purchase patterned paper (unless it includes colors that I already hoard/use a lot). I have been putting my patterned paper, with matching card stock together in hanging files in the jet-max cubes and it worked wonderfully well...until I wasn't able to open the boxes any more...and my purchases of patterned paper went crazy this past summer. NOW I don't think I have room IN the jet-max cubes for all the new patterned paper - this is what I'm going to look at more closely during this week. I guess I DO have some themed paper (Halloween/Christmas) but its an exception.
The original poster talks about sorting the actual paper by brand, color or theme...well...its color for me. I don't purchase by brand or theme...I purchase what I like and that's about it. I try to purchase matching card stock at the same time I purchase patterned paper (unless it includes colors that I already hoard/use a lot). I have been putting my patterned paper, with matching card stock together in hanging files in the jet-max cubes and it worked wonderfully well...until I wasn't able to open the boxes any more...and my purchases of patterned paper went crazy this past summer. NOW I don't think I have room IN the jet-max cubes for all the new patterned paper - this is what I'm going to look at more closely during this week. I guess I DO have some themed paper (Halloween/Christmas) but its an exception.
The original poster also talks about paper stacks - I don't purchase a lot of these because typically I only like a handful of the patterns in the stack. The 1st few that I did purchase, most of the paper is still here, unused...because they are in the stack and too far over to reach to be used. Just recently, I have purchased a couple of stacks and I immediately (like in as soon as I got home) I split the paper out of the stack, organized by color and plopped it in its appropriate section in my jet-max cubes. I have actually used some of them. If there are any that I don't particularly like - it goes immediately into recycle/donate.
I'm wondering if I need a few more cropper hopper storage containers...my problem is space...there is a wee space that could hold a couple of these...but the problem is that the containers are about 1 inch too tall to fit (the shelves are fixed in the bookshelf). I wasn't sure what to think about that so I re-looked at it (stopped typing here and took an actual LOOK) AND, surprise, surprise, now that I have the holders tipped so the opening is facing out (rather than up), they actually JUST fit (barely, but they fit). I now know I can purchase 2 more of these holders because they'll fit in my wee space! WOO HOO!
When cropper hopper came out with these storage things, the package included smaller holders that I am still using...but I'm finding them annoying because they don't hold enough (so they are ok for colors I don't use a lot because they are each about 1/4 of the size of the large one) and I was trying to put a sheet in one yesterday and it kept on getting stuck in the plastic bit that holds it together as a box even though there was plenty of space in the holder ... GRR ... so I may have to replace those...but I'll wait and see what it looks like (stash-wise) after I purchase the 2 new containers and fill them.
When cropper hopper came out with these storage things, the package included smaller holders that I am still using...but I'm finding them annoying because they don't hold enough (so they are ok for colors I don't use a lot because they are each about 1/4 of the size of the large one) and I was trying to put a sheet in one yesterday and it kept on getting stuck in the plastic bit that holds it together as a box even though there was plenty of space in the holder ... GRR ... so I may have to replace those...but I'll wait and see what it looks like (stash-wise) after I purchase the 2 new containers and fill them.
No comments:
Post a Comment