How is it possible that my Granny has been gone for FOUR years already. I miss her so much - there was always so much laughter when she was around - even her phone calls were hilarious.
She was our "Lucy" - if anything strange was going to happen, it would happen to her.
One Christmas, my brother decided he'd carefully open a walnut, take out all the insides, but in a quarter, carefully seal it up so you couldn't tell it had been tampered with and place it in the nut-bowl in the hopes that our Granny would pick that walnut. The only people that ate walnuts where Granny and our parents so the odds were pretty good.
Magically, after a day or so, we're all in the living room, watching TV and Granny says..."well, you'll never guess". The only one that knew about the quarter was my brother, so we're all..."no...what's going on?" She opens her hand to show us this quarter in the middle of the walnut shell. We're all sitting there stunned as she says..."I picked up this walnut, cracked open the shell and it was sitting in there perfectly"...and she pulled the quarter in and out of the shell to show how perfectly it fit. Then she said "have you ever heard of such a thing?" We're saying...oh, you must have just had that quarter in your hand and are pretending you found it in there. She said,..."no...look how it fits exactly in there, well, I've seen it all".
Eventually my brother started laughing and fessed up that he had put the quarter in the nut and explained it all. She went over and gave him a punch in the arm.
It all was hilarious...but all these crazy things always happened to her....so there was always funny stories to hear and re-tell.
I miss all the funny stories, Granny. I miss you!
My love always, Deidre
(I originally posted on May 12, but internet errors un-posted it, so its finally posted, again, but a day late.)
(I originally posted on May 12, but internet errors un-posted it, so its finally posted, again, but a day late.)

No comments:
Post a Comment