Does anyone feel like the public education system is lacking or the fact that you send your kid to public education means you aren't giving them the best chance at an amazing education. By public, I mean...you don't PAY anything for it.
A dear friend of mine lives in Australia and her girls go to a private school. I googled it for fun and BOY is it ever expensive (considering we pay zero for it here). Then, I made the mistake today to read their new letters (and archives) and wow they sure do alot of stuff in their school year. There's tons of scheduled sports and music and trips and and and.... It even sounds a bit like Hogwarts - there's 4 school houses. Its the top ranked school for student achievement in Western Australia.
Now, I guess I should mention that I don't really know what will be offered/taught to kids at school now (since PJ isn't in Kindergarten yet)....but I definitely know that it wasn't that involved when I was at school. Granted, that was a million years ago...but I'm going to take a wild guess that it ain't going to be like what they get at this particular school.
Anyway...I'm just saying...
If you're interested...here's the link. St. Hilda's
Don't know if it will make you feel better, but I went to a public school in the poorer end of the city while my husband went to an expensive all-boys private school with many more opportunities for extended learning (trips, better labs, more sports). When our paths crossed at University, it turned out that I was the one that was better prepared and was more successful in my studies. The price tag does not always equate with a good education.
ReplyDeleteThanks, I guess its what the student makes of it, huh? Both DH & I are Chartered Accountants and came through public school system. I didn't bother trying and he was a keener...and we ended up in the same place (literally...Price Waterhouse).
ReplyDeleteI think I was having one of those days when I read about the school...I've read about it before, without the same reaction.