Monday, July 4, 2011

Royal Visit - July 3, 2011 - Quebec city

They spent the night on some navy ship and sailed from Montreal to Quebec City - couldn't have been too pleasant, but who knows.

The 1st event was a prayer service on the ship.


They when downtown to the old part of town and William made a speech and inspected the Van Doos guards.  Here is his speech (which he did 100% in French)

Thank you Premier, and Mr Mayor for your warm welcome. It’s an honour for me to be here with you in Quebec today. For me, as a soldier and an airman, it is a privilege to have inspected a great regiment like the Royal 22nd. Your reputation is as strong as it is legendary. This place has such beauty and history. You, the Quebecois et Quebecoise, have such vitality and vigour. It is simply a pleasure to be here. Thank you for your patience with my accent, and I hope that we will have the chance to get to know each other over the years to come.
Until the next time.



Kate  ONCE AGAIN is in BLUE!! WOO HOO.  To be even 1/2 as thin as her would be so nice.


We were watching some of this on TV and after the guards had marched away, they started walking toward their vehicle.  It was setup such that the people that wanted to see the couple were on the sidewalk, behind a fence, then there were too rows of cars.  I assume they did this to try to keep the couple away from potentially militant people (I think I mentioned before that alot of people in Quebec are against the Monarchy).  

Much to the security's dismay (I'm sure), Kate and William walked between the rows of vehicles and started shaking hands with the people standing and cheering for them to come over.  The area they had to walk in was maybe as wide as a sidewalk...but it meant that there was no way for the security to get good vantage points to watch the crowd to see if anyone looked suspicious.  You could feel the tension from the security by the way their heads were darting around and trying to move to a place to keep careful watch.

Then they went to a youth shelter and visit with the kids.  Everyone appeared to have a great time.

Later in the day, before they caught their plane, they showed up after another clothing change.



Then they left for PEI (Prince Edward Island).



I love this little pink jacket!

2 comments:

  1. I am enjoying your royal updates!! You have found really great pics to go with each one!
    I saw the Canada ceremony after the fact. CBC won't live stream to the US. :(
    Thanks for posting it all!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you are enjoying them. Some times I luck out and find some good photos.

    I know what you mean about CBC not live streaming in the US...we can't get ANY USA tv on the internet up here...live or otherwise.

    ReplyDelete