Most of my stash IS paper, so I've kind of been dealing with this already.
The original post about it is HERE
In there are a TON of links for different types of products to use to store your paper in. Choices are vertical or horizontal. She states that you need more space is you are going vertical, however, I found that I need less space going vertical. This is because the only way I can tolerate horizontal is if I have some form of shelving units like you would see in a LSS - which means I would need floor square footage to put these units on...and that is the part of my space that I don't have. I guess, if I had a TON of paper like a lot of people do (some people have more paper than my LSS has), then I'd probably agree that vertical isn't the way to go.
She also goes into detail on how to store the paper - like by brands, color, or theme. So, for me, I can't imagine doing anything other than color. I typically only purchase patterned paper that is on sale, so chances of it being all in one "brand" is slim. I also purchase matching card stock with the patterned paper and I try to keep them together in my jetmax hanging files. This results in "some" organization by theme (orange and black with Halloween paper plus green and red with Christmas paper).
She also talks about paper stacks - I don't purchase a lot of these because typically I only like a handful of the patterns. The 1st few that I did purchase, most of the paper is still here, unused...because they are in the stack and too far over to reach to be used. Just recently, I have purchased a couple of stacks and I immediately (like in as soon as I got home) I split the paper out of the stack, organized by color and plopped it in its appropriate section in my jetmax cubes. I have actually used some of them. If there are any that I don't particularly like - it goes immediately into recycle.
So - challenge is:
1. how to store paper - I choose Vertical
2. how to organize - I choose by color
3. do it!
Now, I've started because I have purchased some more 12x12 cropper hopper vertical holders. I have to re-sort what I have and utilize these new holders...and see if I need more. I still have some paper lying around that needs a home.
Do you really put your scrapbook paper that you don't use in the recycle bin? Or do you mean you "recylce" it by finding other uses for it? Just curious...
ReplyDeleteI now have spent the past few mins playing with your virtual cat...hehe
If its something that's a color/pattern I would never use, I ask friends if they want it first (but I typically know the answer based on what they scrapbook) and then it gets tossed in the recycle bin...I really don't have the room for it.
ReplyDeleteOf course, if the back is usable for something (i.e. can't see the front through it), then I keep it. I actually purchased a stack that was on kraft paper for the kraft paper! It was such a good deal, that it was cheaper than getting a bunch of kraft card stock. I did, however, keep a few for the front part.